When you hear the names Harley Davidson, Ed Catmull, J.K Rowling, Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg, what do you think of?
Do you think of motorcycles? How about Pixar? Harry Potter? Amazon or of course, Facebook?
What do all these success stories have in common? Yes, they have overwhelmingly popular brands making thousands of dollars every day. BUT! What is it they all have in common? What gave them the appeal? Did they just wake up and have these massive empires?
The answer is an all over resounding, NO!
These people had something they wanted to share with the world. Something they dreamed of and wanted to see successful. But how were they going to do this? Just post it up and wish or hope people would find their product if they decided to do no marketing whatsoever?
There was no social media when many of these great success stories came to fruition so what did they do to make such monumental impacts?
Simple. They saw the answer in front of them. Something so easily overlooked in a world saturated with desires to be famous and get rich quick goals. It wasn’t about them.
They realized early on… in order to have a successful product, you need to focus on pouring your energy into people. It is people that pass around the news of your product. People who bring awareness. People who spread the word. It’s people that makes a company what it is. And this doesn’t only apply to book marketing!
It’s a universal truth in businesses of all kinds!
For example, in today’s marketing world, there is not a person who would not recognize the name of Amazon. It is a multi-million dollar corporation reaching across a global scale in a variety of products. In the world of eBooks it holds the top slot in self and indie publishing.
Why? Because of people.
“If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends. If you make customers unhappy on the internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends.” — Jeff Bezos
Jess Bezos recognizes the power of the influence of people. He goes on to say:
“Obsess about customers, not competitors.” Jeff Bezos
Here is a man, a powerhouse in today’s market, humbling himself to the influence of the people his company serves.
Think about it? If no one used Amazon. If they went on with going to Wal-Mart on black Friday or never participated in cyber Monday, would Amazon still hold the place it does in today’s market? No, it wouldn’t. It is the overwhelming power of people that Jeff Bezos utilized to make Amazon what it is. He saw a need; he filled it and now look at what he has?
So often, new marketers and entrepreneurs fall into the trap of “Here’s my product, buy it!.” We flood our social media with constant self-promotion and forget: As marketers and entrepreneurs, we must remember it is about people first, not us!
Here are seven things to think about when you start marketing your product.
- People buy from entrepreneurs who have something they want.
- Satisfaction leads to word of mouth. Word of mouth spreads awareness.
- People like to feel like more than a wallet. Make it about them.
- Making it about them leads to repeated visits and customer loyalty
- People identify with people who take the time to speak with them
- There is no product without the audience
- People invest time and effort into something they attach too. You can help create that attachment.
Things to Remember:
- Having a great product must always be about something you want to bring into fruition first and foremost! If you are serious, the passion has to continue into marketing and reaching people!
- Do NOT see marketing a product as a get rich quick scheme. Many of the companies listed (Amazon, Harley Davidson, Pixar, Harry Potter and Facebook) took years to gain momentum!
- Recognize a need/ find your niche/ tribe.
- Anyone can bust out information told over and over on blogs and websites. Find something you want to ask but no one seems to have addressed yet.
- Anything worth doing is going to take some serious work!
- 80/20 Rule >> 80% of your engagement must involve your audience; 20% can be you.
Making money doing what you love is a dream many of us have. We long to quit our jobs and make our burning passion our daily job BUT we must remember, in the end, we want people to know we exist. If your passion is more than a hobby, start networking with people now! Whatever you do, never give up. Success is a process, not a sprint.
Before you go….
***If you like the content, please hit the follow button. Shares are appreciated!***
***Interested in writing for us? Want a book review? Would like to guest post or want to offer your own insight? Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org! We are always looking for authors and bloggers who want to share their experiences!